Getting sick and finding relief in Japan

So... I got sick last week and missed a whole week of class. However, this forced me to take a look at the life I was living...



I got influenza and that's why I was feeling like crap but my previous nutrition hadn't been that great in the first place. I never learned how to really cook for myself and I was eating things that I knew were not good for me. However, when you suffer from mental illnesses like depression and anxiety you literally sometimes just don't have the energy or right mind set to make the right decisions. Especially when you have other important things in your life you're constantly working about like family, school, work, and other relationships and responsibilities. So when everything piles up you tend to be the thing you put last.

****Time for the TMI moment. SKIP this if you don't wanna hear. ****

So I've been suffering from chronic constipation for the last 3 years which has led to hemorrhoids and anal fissures. There hasn't been a day where I have had a normal poop. When I mean normal poop I mean poops that are peaceful and don't consist of pain and bloody stools. Then after the poop more pain lasting throughout the day. So then throughout your day you have to plan around you poop and possibly cancel plans because of it.

*****TMI OVER****

So I initially went to the hospital for a checkup and some medicine. However, I ended up being admitted once they heard that I had stomach pain and there was blood in my stool. They had a doctor feel around my stomach and he pressed down and it hurt a lot in one place. So I think had to get CT scans taken. He determined my colon was inflamed. They also checked my other symptoms and found out that I was dehydrated. So they had me hooked to an IV.

I also wasn't allowed to eat for a day because they wanted me to poop so they could see if there was still blood. They told me if I didn't poop I couldn't leave.  But plot twist. I hadn't eaten the day before so I couldn't poop anything out lol. I explained this and they eventually allowed me to eat. However, they only served me stuff that was easy to digest which I was grateful for. I had primarily vegetarian dishes and then there were also some that consisted of small amounts of fish and chicken.  Unfortunately I still didn't poop till day 3. And they still didn't let me leave then lol. I had to stay another day so they could make sure I was stable. So on day four I was finally released.

However, like the champ I am I make the best of my situation. My friends were nice enough to bring me things I requested. Like pudding, anime stuff, and they also gave me movies I could watch to pass time. One of my friends also let the other people in our area that I was in the hospital and the majority of them sent me well wishes. It was really nice of them even though they don't know me well. My work sister also came to visit. She might not feel that way but no matter what she says I claim her as a sister. She has literally taken care of me since I've come to Fukui. She's the best!










I was eventually released on day 4. I said bye to all the nurses that took care of me. And they told me to learn how to cook so I won't be so constipated anymore and that told me no more konbini food T^T So my friend J decided to teach me how to cook~

We made soup and hijiki rice :D It was delicious ^^ The rice came out kind of bland but it was our first time making it so I call it a success.



Oh yeah and I was also worried about the hospital bill but it turned out not to be so bad! It was only around $340 for a 3/4 day hospital stay :) I had to cancel my trip to Nagoya but that's fine. Nagoya will always be there but I have to put myself and my health first from now on :)




Comments

Popular Posts